Monday, May 17, 2010

assignment 9

I really liked the poem The Last Buchees that we read last week I have to be honest that I did not understand the poem the first time I read it because of it use of old English. I found the poem very funny in a dark sense of humor. It is almost ridiculous how the duke over reacts to his wife minor quirks. He has her killed because he though talking to would be too much trouble and that he think it is beneath him. He speaks of her murder as if it is not a big deal and speaks of it as casually as one might comment on the weather. The icing on the cake is that he told this to a servant of a count who he was planning on asking for his daughter’s hand in marriage. It reminds me of one of my favorite shows Dexter. The main character of the show, Dexter, who also kills people without remorse but all of his victims were killers and he tries to kill his killings secret, in contrast to the duke. These two would probably enjoy each others company before Dexter decides to add the duke to his large body count for his crimes.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's not a big mistake that you made, but I would like to mention that you have misspelled the title which is "My Last Duchess" instead of "The Last Buchees". But we do understand what you were trying to say. Anyways, Ya, it is a difficult one and it is long too, isn't it? The duke is really overreacting to his wife's minor quirks and he defends himself quickly as well.

    ReplyDelete